Raising Awareness About Falling
M&M Physical Therapy holds several presentations and events on fall prevention throughout the year for a number of different organizations in the communities we serve. Contact Veronica@mmptnj.com to arrange for us to come and speak to your group.
Falling is a major public health issue for people over the age of 65 and M&M Physical Therapy is dedicated to preventing falls among seniors. Fall events held throughout the year include fall prevention lectures, fall screening events, and our annual fall prevention awareness day.
Falls can be prevented! Four steps to preventing falls include:
1. Begin a daily exercise program.
With the help of a physical therapist, a daily exercise program can be designed that works best for you.
2. Review medications
Some medications may interact with one another, causing fatigue or dizziness, leading to falling. Review both prescription and OTC medications with all of your healthcare providers.
3. Have your vision checked
Vision should be checked once a year. Poor vision can cause loss of balance or tripping which can result in falling.
4. Make your home safe
- Improve lighting and use night lights.
- Install hand rails on both sides of the stairs.
- Remove throw rugs as they can be tripping hazards.
- Remove clutter from walkways and stairs.
- Use non-skid mats in the tub/shower.
- Install grab bars in the shower and alongside the toilet.
- Keep regularly used items on shelves within easy reach.
- Wear rubber-soled, low heeled shoes both inside and outside; avoid walking with sandals or bare feet.